||Aden and Mukalla Cities
||Vulnerable communities and internally displaced persons in targeted governorates
||Water Supply, Sanitation, Hygiene and Solid Waste Management
||Public Works Project, Alatta for Relief and Development and Nadha Makers Organization
||Click to download
Violence and instability have affected almost all Yemeni governorates, making it more difficult to access to basic services such as water, sanitation and waste management. State institutions lack revenues and are challenged to pay salaries and running costs, while equipment and infrastructure deteriorates. Varying degrees of water availability, leakage, and irregular collection of waste contribute to the spread of serious diseases such as dengue fever, typhoid, ophthalmia, malaria and cholera.
This project helps responsible institutions to provide essential services in two major cities, to reduce epidemics, improve security and enable the people of Yemen to experience the advantages of peace. Project activities are expected to improve the quality of life by reducing water-related diseases; contribute to a stronger economy by increasing productivity; and, contribute to stability by allowing communities to enjoy the benefits of peace.
The objective of this project is to make two essential service institutions located in two major cities more resilient to the multiple vulnerability they are facing (financial, planning, maintenance and management of aging and reduced fleets). It will achieve this though the following outputs.
Capacity development: to improve the performance of Cleaning funds and Public corporation for water and sewerage for Aden and Mukalla.
Rehabilitation of critical infrastructure: rehabilitate and extend the water and sanitation system and restoration of physical assets.
- Workshops/ trainings are complete for 124 senior staff from PCWS and C.F in both Mukalla and Aden staffs gain skills and are better motivated.
- Strategic, emergency preparedness and financial plans are prepared for cleaning fund and water corporations of Aden and Mukalla.
- 14 documents for Policies and guidelines are prepared for different departments of the institutes.
- Job description are prepared for key roles of the two institutes.
- 117 staff members received related administrative and technical training at the four institutions.
- 33 customer departments staff received TOT training WASH Committees formation (47 individuals).
- 14 staff members from the four institutions in both Aden and Mukalla were trained on developed new assets management software.
- 30 staff members received training on preventive operation and maintenance.
Rehabilitation of infrastructures and asset restoration
- Rehabilitation and maintenance of 12 public toilets buildings in Mukalla city is complete.
- Rehabilitation Cleaning Administration Office in Crater –Serah – Cleaning Fund Aden is complete.
- Rehabilitation Cleaning Administration Office in Al-Tawahi, Aden is complete.
- Office furniture was delivered to the different institutions LCWSS and Cleaning Fund in Aden and Mukalla.
- Delivery and installation of 12 engines and cables in to enable run 12 bore holes of Bir Nasser and bir Ahmed well fields of Aden.
- Delivery of 12 compactors trucks for the Cleaning Fund in Mukalla and Delivery of 13 compactors trucks for the Cleaning Fund in Aden and 16 motorcycles are under delivery to Cleaning Fund in Mukalla.
- Handover of 50 local made iron garbage container to Cleaning Fund in Aden.
- Delivery of three generators to Aden Cleaning Fund.
- Removing rubble and cleaning the main roads of five districts in Aden governorate, which were formed by floods that resulted from successive rains in April and May.
- Improve the water network west and north of the Al-Talea’a area old Fuwa, Mukalla.
- Rehabilitation of the hangars and buildings of the workshop of maintenance /Mukalla.
- Suppled and installed submersible pumps for Alsherg and Algulila sewerage pumping stations.
- Delivery of five Xerox printers to all institutions.
- Rehabilitation of Almansura sewage pumping station building (Civil Work)– Ater Corporation in Aden.
- Operationalizing various guidelines, policies of different departments.
- Joint program review and monitoring.
- Providing 11 submersible pumps for PCWS Mukalla.
- Supply and installation of submersible pumps for Aden sewage pumping stations in Mukalla.